Cindy Williams is an American actress who is best known for her role as Shirley Feeney in the television series “Laverne & Shirley”. She was born on August 22, 1947 in Van Nuys, California, USA. Williams started her career in the late 1960s and early 1970s with several guest appearances on popular television shows such as “The Love Boat” and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”. She rose to fame in 1976 when she was cast in the lead role of Shirley Feeney in “Laverne & Shirley”. The show ran for eight seasons and became one of the most popular sitcoms of the 1970s and 1980s. Williams has also appeared in several films including “American Graffiti” (1973) and “The Conversation” (1974). She has been nominated for several awards and has won the Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy in 1977.
- “American Graffiti” (1973) – Williams made her feature film debut in this George Lucas directed classic coming-of-age movie set in the 1960s. She played the character of Laurie Henderson.
- “Laverne & Shirley” (1976-1983) – Williams is most famous for her role as Shirley Feeney in this popular TV series. She co-starred with Penny Marshall as Laverne DeFazio.
- “More American Graffiti” (1979) – This sequel to “American Graffiti” marked Williams’ return to the big screen, where she reprised her role as Laurie.
- “The First Turn-On!!” (1983) – In this comedy film, Williams played the character of Mrs. Coolidge.
- “Easy Money” (1983) – Williams appeared in this comedy movie as Mrs. Parker, starring Rodney Dangerfield.
- “Brighton Beach Memoirs” (1986) – Williams appeared in this film adaptation of Neil Simon’s semi-autobiographical play, playing the character of Blanche.
Achievements of Cindy William
- Primetime Emmy Award Nomination – Williams was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Shirley Feeney in “Laverne & Shirley” in 1982.
- Golden Globe Nomination – She was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy for her role in “Laverne & Shirley” in 1981.
- Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame – Williams was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1983 in recognition of her contributions to the entertainment industry.
- Iconic Television Character – Her character of Shirley Feeney in “Laverne & Shirley” has become an iconic figure in American television history and remains beloved by audiences.
Personal life of Williams
In her personal life, Williams has been married to Bill Hudson, a musician, since 1982. The couple has two children together, a son named Zachary and a daughter named Emily.
Throughout her career, Williams has been honored with several awards and nominations, including a Golden Globe nomination for her performance in “Laverne & Shirley”. She continues to act and has remained a beloved figure in the entertainment industry.
Career Longevity – Williams has had a long and successful career in the entertainment industry, spanning over five decades. She has appeared in numerous television shows, films, and theatrical productions.
Philanthropic Work – Williams has also been active in philanthropic work, supporting various causes such as animal rights and environmental protection. She is a supporter of the Humane Society of the United States and has served on the organization’s board of directors.